Amazon

Monday 19 September 2011

The Simple Things in Life Must Include Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was one of those days that you expect this time of year.  The kids have gone back to school and the first thing that happens is everyone gets sick!  Every member of our house has either a runny nose, a sore throat or a cough. What better thing to help than homemade chicken noodle soup.  I use a great recipe from the book, The Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids by Tosca Reno.  Check out the recipe on their blog http://eatcleandiet.blogspot.com/2010/12/day-12-of-25-days-of-giving.html

I love to make my own chicken stock.  It makes me feel like I am making a meal for free.  I've already made a meal with a whole chicken (or a precooked chicken from the grocery store). 

You may notice that the recipe calls for a lot of vegetables to be cooked in with the stock and then discarded.  This makes the stock so much more flavourful.  Make sure that you don't skip this.  Also, I don't recommend skipping the brussell sprouts that it calls for when you make the soup.  I don't love brussell sprouts, but it adds a certain something.  I didn't have any when I made the soup tonight and it wasn't the same. 

As a mom, I like to make food from scratch as often as I can.  It not only tastes better, but I feel good knowing that I have added wholesome ingredients and I have total contorl over what's in the food I feed my family.

What's your favourite comfort food or food you love to make from scratch??

No comments:

Post a Comment